Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Using Workshop 4

Hi

Before i start please note i am yet to connect a screen all i am working with is the software loaded onto windows and an SD card connected to my computer (which the system required that i format in a certain way preventing me from reading the content of the card from wiith windows itself )

i have been able to work out creating the layout (graphic circle ) using widgets so thats a start

basically my widgets are a series of circles that will have a dynamic number placed in the middle of each circle, these numbers need to be dynamic as their values are being generated from arduino in real time and so need to change accordingly.

However i seem to be missing some pieces of the puzzle

1. I see the arduino code yet cannot see the code relating the the position of the widgets on the screen ( or is this code saved onto the sd card who code i do not need to work with directly ?? )
    2 I tried the hello world example yet I could not see the hello world text on the screen let alone be able to then understand how I add text / numbers to my widgets I have created nor how to add numbers onto the screen so that those numbers can be suitably positions onto each widget. Also ideally i will be wanting all the text and numbers displayed to be mirrored as i am striving to develop a head up display.

The above addresses the moc-up design issues i have to tackles where i have hard coded everything

The final piece of the puzzle is how I associate the variables created in the arduino code to then replaced the values in the above mentioned moc up design with the variablesd

If there is a tutorial resource that i have missed that takes me through the above to learn the steps needed please let me know

Thanks for your assistance

Hello and welcome,

There are many application notes available on the App Notes page, https://docs.4dsystems.com.au/app-notes which should help you.
    You need to start by determining what Environment in Workshop4 you are planning to use. You might like to look at ViSi-Genie, and then use the associated genieArduino library on the Arduino side for communicating with it. However it really depends what you are aiming to achieve and if you need to do anything custom or outside the norm, which might require you to do some 4DGL coding on the display, rather than straight ViSi-Genie. You could get into Workshop4 PRO and unlock more features, as another option.

I am unsure what you are referring to as formatting your SD card to a format which prevents you reading the card in windows itself - this doesnt seem right, as all of our modules (except for Goldelox) use a FAT file system, which is windows readable. You however have not given any information about what module you are using, nor what Environment in Workshop4 you are currently trying to use. You have posted in Diablo16 so I can only assume you are using a Diablo based display module.

Anyway, have a look at the App-notes and then if you come back with more details about what you are doing, what module you are using, what environment you are using, someone will be able to help you. There is a ton of information on the forum and in the App-notes.

Regards
    James

Comment

Hi

indeed the notes you mention are very comprehensive and has assisted greatly

the feature to be able to mirror the information displayed is they available on the free workshop app or do I need to upgrade to the pro version

Comment

Hi

I have attached an example that will mirror the display. Please give it a try. I've just tested it here and it works fine so you should be able to mirror the entire screen but build your project as normal. PRO not required.

Best regards

Paul
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the effort I will check not the code. Is there a resource / written on this topic so that I and others can learn the necessary steps to achieve the same in the future ???

Comment

Hi,

At the moment there isn't any documentation on the topic but we will look into it for the future.

Best regards

Paul

Comment

Thanks I am looking forward to trying your code and I really appreciate the effort you have gone to in order to assisit.

Comment

Hi i have had a look at the file however I have no idea what I am supposed to do with the code so that the display I have created appears mirrored

Note the display I am using is Genie ulcde 43D SB

Attached is the zip of my very first attempt at designing a screen

Its the content on this screen that i am seeking to be mirrored

Further information, no idea if its relevant the values shown inside each of the circles will be bound to Arduino variables so that each value dynamically changes as their values change due to the inputs received by the arduino in real time.

As always thanks in advance for your advise and assistance

Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

It would be better to complete your project in Visi.

I've modified your project to Visi and included the flip code. I've also changed the static text to Strings with a font the same as the statictext you selected.

You may want to adjust the LedDigits also.

You could use this as a template and modify it to suit.

Best regards

Paul
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi

I have loaded your updated example however the graphics do not appear to load correctly and there is not text fields on any of the circles

also whilst i load the files many error messages such as these appear on the screen

Can you please advise, being a total novice with your software i have no idea why the errors are occurring i had hoped from your previous post i would simply open the file zip and as you suggested use the template as a foundation for my mirror display project
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

Ok, thanks dfor the information.

We can ignore the errors for the time being as there is a new version of Workshop 4 being released very soon and these won't be there after it has been installed. It won't affect how the program runs.

By your desription, it sounds like the old Genie program is running from Flash with the modified graphics files I created.

Workshop can load a program into flash or RAM and it's possible that the Visi project may be set to load to RAM. You can change this by clicking on the Project tab and setting the destination to Flash

Could you please try this and let me know if it gives the expected result.

Best regards

Paul

Comment

hi so i did as asked i changed to flash i then saved and closed the software and re opened it

the result is the same all the text / headings etc are no longer there inside each circle

the object explorer only shows one string fields

if i have missed a step in what i was supposed to do please let me know

please remember i only started using this software yesterday this is all totally new for me so please do not assume i will know to do some step having changed from ram to flash

please see screen shot

Attached Files

Comment

Hi

No I don't think you have missed anything.

I understand this is totally new to you and it will get easier the more you use it.

The reason for the missing text in the object inspector is because I removed them, as static text doesn't have the desired effect on top of the circles. The one string is there in order to create an SD font which we use in the code so when it is loaded to the display the labels are printed on top of the circles using the Tahoma font.

With the display connected, clicking on comp'n'load will generate the graphics for the SD card and flash the code to the display, however, if no graphics changes were made in the object inspector and no code changes this button is just a Download button and graphics will not be re-generated and not stored on the SD card

There is a trick in Workshop 4 to re-generate the graphics stored on the SD card, You can do this by pressing SHIFT + F9 and all graphics will be re-generated and stored on the SD card.

When you get the prompt to copy files to the SD card, remove the SD card from the display and insert it in your PC, choose the drive letter for your SD card and then copy the files to the SD card.
                          Replace the SD card in back in the display and all the images should appear as you expect.

Best regards

Paul

Comment

Hi

I am only working with the software to familiarise myself the display will not arrive until next week when I can start working with it

so do I now need to wait to connect the display to see the outcome expected ??? And not see it in the GUI ??

Comment

Ok not a problem.

I wanted to show you how your design would work in a mirrored way so we are now ready for when your display arrives

Comment

Working...
                              X