Retro Dash Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retro Dash Build

I'm wanting to build the following project, Convert a R32 Skyline mechanical dash cluster to a Can Bus driven digital dash cluster.
    So far I'm wiring in a Haltech 2500 ECU, which runs the CAN network, I can receive the Can signals into a raspberry pi, via Pican3 hat.

I have the following questions for the screen side of the project
    1. Can I have a display item (ie gauge etc) be visible or invisible based of a value from the Pi?
    2. What connection options do I have between the Pi and a 4D screen, eg I2C, Uart, USB etc?
    3. Am I able to run multiple screens, with multiple objects on each screen from the same Pi?
    4. Looking at the IDE software, it's not clear were to set the triggers for dash objects, like RPM value range
    Cheers

Hello,

Sounds like an interesting project.
    So to start with, what display are you using, and what Environment in the Workshop4 IDE are you trying to use?
    1) Yes, when activated you can show and hide widgets no problem.
    2) Typically its a UART from Host to Display, however depending on your display module you are using, you might get I2C or SPI type options, but you would have to write the handlers yourself to parse the data. UART is definitely the easiest way, and ends up being the fastest typically too.
    3) Yes you can run multiple screens, however over UART you need to dedicate 1 UART for each display, so your PI would have to have 2 UART's for 2 displays, for example. If you went I2C or SPI then you can have more etc, but again you need to write the handlers for this.
    4) Depending what Environment you use in the Worskhop4 IDE will depend how this works. If using Designer or ViSi, then you need to write the code. If using ViSi-Genie then you follow the Genie protocol. If using Serial then you follow the Serial protocol.

More information can be shared once you give more information.

Another option is putting CAN directly into the 4D Display. We have a MOTG-CAN module coming out soon, but there are other CAN modules available on the market which could be interfaced to, typically with SPI, and you could do away with the Pi entirely, and handle the CAN directly - you just have to write the handlers to decode the can messages etc. But its another option.

Regards
    James

Comment

James, I'm interested in CAN based display as well, however although I have a vast DBC of CAN message I.D.s and signals I'm totally new to your area.

Looks like I'm not the only one who needs a pointer.

Most interested, thank you

Comment

Working...
      X