This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uLCD70DT - Basic Query of program storage

I am kind off new to the 4D displays and have created a few sample codes ( that are working !) by following your tutorials / user guides. I develop code using Arduino IDE. And so most times stay with the Serial environment.

I have a basic doubt. For code storage you have three options Run RAM / Run Flash / uSD.

Now in each of the option can someone tell what gets stored in what ? I tired to figure out using the user guides but in all cases looks like the uSD card is anyway required, Can someone clear this for me ? Thanks!!

Hi,

When using Serial SPE these options are not really relevant as you already have a program in flash that handles the serial commands and handles any graphics you have on the SD card.

But when using the other environments like Designer, Visi and Visi-Genie you can choose the destination to run a program from.

Running from RAM can be useful when developing your project. It allows you to test your code without writing to flash. This is not permanent and it will revert to running from flash the next time you reset or power cycle your display. It can also be useful say if you wanted to try another programming environment when you are using Serial SPE as you can just reset the display and the serial and Arduino code will work as before.

Running from Flash means that the code is written permanantly to flash so when the display is reset or power cycled then the new code remains. This would overwrite the Serial SPE code on your display.

Running from uSD. There is a tool available under the Tools tab in Visi & Visi Genie called 'Update Bank(s) & Run' This allows you to load a small program to Flash that will check for an executable file on the SD card called 'RunBank1.4xe' This program will get loaded into flashbank1 and run from there. The program will only be loaded into flashbank1 if the 'RunBank1.4xe' is newer than the program in flashbank1. When you select uSD, it will create the RunBank1.4xe and store it on the SD card which will then be loaded the next time you reset or power cycle your display. This feature is very handy if you want to be able to update the code on the display without connecting it to a PC to program the flash especially if using Visi or Visi-Genie.

The uSD card is only required for any widgets that are created that need the SD card. We now have some new widgets that don't require an SD card and it is possible to create a nice GUI using these new code based widgets.

I hope this helps

Best regards

Paul

Comment

Thanks Paul.

That was a detailed explanation. I also happened to read the << https://docs.4dsystems.com.au/app-note/4d-an-00202 >> which takes you through the various kinds of files required to run a program. It also clearly explains the three different options to run a program.

Just one more query ... suppose I have a simple meter application developed in ViSi Genie and controlled by a Mega 2560 board, is it possible to completely do away with the SD Card and load all files ( program + support ) into the Flash and run ? I am using the Diablo 16 processor and it does have a large Flash.

Comment

Hi,

Yes you can do that by selecting Internal or Inherent widgets from the widgets tab. These type of widgets are all code based. Internal widgets reside in the displays PmmC whilst Inherents use code that is installed into FlashBank 5 to reduce the amount of code needed in your main program code.

You will notice in the Tools tab there is a tool called 'Load Inherents into Bank5'. You need to click on this to make the code available.

Placing and manipulation of the Internal and Inherent widgets can be carried out in the same manner as other uSD type widgets and the Paste Code button is there to make it easy to code these widgets into your project.

You will need to make sure you have the latest Workshop installed for these new features which you can check by clicking on File, options and then Updates.

I hope this helps

Best regards

Paul
        Last edited by pauleilio; 1 week ago.

Comment

I have attached a simple example of a gauge and a slider without an SD card
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Paul,

That's great news ! For a user like me who never gets past the form0 level, this is really a happy solution. Its clear now. Your support is as good as your displays !!

Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X