Update display/code without having to remove SD card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update display/code without having to remove SD card

Hi, I've just bought a 3,5" resistive touch display (Gen4-35DT) for a customer, and I will start the design/test phase of his application display's code.

The design will be made on Workshop Pro, and the display will be driven by a Raspberry Pi on the final project.

The problem is , the customer is remote (another country) and I don't have access either to Windows or the Pi.

So far there's a person there to remove the SD Card from the display each time I change something on Workshop, and put it back and do some physical touches on the display once we connect it back to the Raspberry Pi. I watch everything through a camera on the bench, but obviously this is very non-productive and slows down my work a lot.

Is there a way to connect the display simultaneosly to windows and the Pi, so I can program AND test what's on the SD card without having to remove it? I read on the specs that it can be done because the display have more than one serial port, but I really didn't understand how to set them up.

The display is a Gen4-35DT (resistive touch). I bought the SK starter kit so it's connected to windows via a 4D-UPA board, and to the Raspberry via a 4D-IB board and 4D Serial Pi adaptor.

Thanks for the Help!
    Luis.

Hi,

You can use the 4D-UPA to breakout the additional COM port for use, but you'll need to wire it manually to the Serial Pi Adaptor. It will depend on which pin you assign as RX and TX.

If you are doing your project with ViSi-genie environment, the COM port used for communication can be set on the Project Tab > Comms. If you are using ViSi or designer, you can check the Serial (UART) Communication Functions section of the Internal Functions Manual for Diablo16 to check the associated functions needed to establish the serial port. For the Serial environment the COM port is set through File>Options>Serial.

As for transferring files from the PC to the display's mounted uSD card, the latest Workshop4 IDE has the file transfer feature available for use. This will prompt when doing an upload. Otherwise you can use the standalone file transfer tool "filetransfer.exe" in C:\Program Files (x86)\4D Labs\4D Workshop 4 IDE\DEP. You can find more info about this tool here: https://forum.4dsystems.com.au/node/62492

Best Regards,

Comment

Hi Jerson, thanks, we already switched over to 'File Transfer' and it works perfectly, and will try later to use serial port 1 to connect to the Raspberry Pi.

Thank you for your help!
      Luis.

Comment

Working...
      X