Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Screen two arduino

Hello,

I am using GEN4-ULCD-70D-AR kit, arduino uno, visi-genie via serial connection. Is it possible to connect two arduinos to one display? Is it possible to configure and use two serial ports in display?

Regards
    Krzysztof

Hi, does anybody know if it is possible.

Comment

Good day!

The display can only be configured in ViSi Genie to use one Serial.

In your setup, it would be best to simply make one of the Arduino as the main display controller and let the other Arduino talk to the main controller. This way, the main controller can also effectively manage what is being sent.

Alternatively, you can program the display itself to use 2 UART ports with your own customized Serial command protocol.

Do you mind telling us exactly what you are trying to achieve that would require you to use 2 Arduinos?

Best Regards,
      Juniel Cruz

Comment

Thanks for answear. One Arduino is responsible for steering of 4 devices on test stand, the second one I would like to use to observe working parameters and count work time of each device.
        I consider a few options, but in my opinion the most elegant would be with one uLCD: one form to set up steering parameters, second form to observe working parameters.
        It was very easy for me to create interface in visi-genie. Is it possible to use this interface and somehow enable second serial port. Arduinos would use different widgets.

Best Regars

Comment

Good day!

One Arduino is responsible for steering of 4 devices on test stand, the second one I would like to use to observe working parameters and count work time of each device.
          I consider a few options, but in my opinion the most elegant would be with one uLCD: one form to set up steering parameters, second form to observe working parameters.
          I agree that one display should be enough to do both. However, I also think 1 Arduino can perform both tasks you have divided. If Arduino Uno is not fast enough or doesn't have enough pins available. You should consider moving to a different Arduino board. This should allow you to have one host controller and one display.

Besides needing minimal source code/projects to maintain, this setup also lets you build less bulky products.

You might have considered the above already. If so, can you share with us the reason why you need to keep them separate?

It was very easy for me to create interface in visi-genie. Is it possible to use this interface and somehow enable second serial port. Arduinos would use different widgets.
          It's not possible to configure ViSi Genie to use 2 serial ports. However, you can add your own command protocol on top of ViSi Genie which utilizes a secondary port of the display for your 2nd Arduino. This will require you to use ViSi Genie Magic which is available for the PRO version of Workshop4.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards
          Juniel Cruz

Comment

Hi,

last option sounds interesting. I was searching in app notes for example how to do it in Genie magic. I am not sure how it should looks like in my solution. I've got four "ILedDigits0" created in visi-genie and I want to communicate with them (only send values) via secondary serial port. How to use magic component to achive the goal. Should I use magic "code" to enable additional serial port? Could You give me a hint?

Regards

Comment

Good day!

ViSi Genie Magic allows you to add 4DGL code to handle additional functionalities that you might want. That being said, you need to be somewhat experienced in 4DGL (through Designer or ViSi) in order to effectively add Magic features.

You would be interested to look into how to setup another Serial UART and send and receive data. You can find related application notes here. Once, you've learned how to set this up, you should be able to design a command protocol that you want.

This setup is not something we recommend even though it is possible since it is more ideal to have a single master that talks with the display and other additional devices (like the 2nd Arduino in your setup).

Also, you didn't provide any comments regarding the first option I mentioned which I still think is the more promising choice.

Originally posted by Juniel Cruz View Post
              However, I also think 1 Arduino can perform both tasks you have divided. If Arduino Uno is not fast enough or doesn't have enough pins available. You should consider moving to a different Arduino board. This should allow you to have one host controller and one display.

Besides needing minimal source code/projects to maintain, this setup also lets you build less bulky products.

You might have considered the above already. If so, can you share with us the reason why you need to keep them separate?
              Can you please share with us if there is any reason you can't go with this setup?

Best Regards
              Juniel Cruz

Comment

Hi,

The reason is that Arduino Uno doesn't have enough pins available. I have already two of them, so I thought I can use two hardware serial ports in Diablo16 to control separate processes (control and obsrervation). Maybe I will try another Arduino Board. Thanks for help.

Comment

Good day!

I'm glad you decided to look into using another Arduino board with enough pins.

It really is the best option for you moving forward since it helps you minimize the number of projects you need to maintain.

I also want to point out that the ideal setup if you wish to use 2 Arduinos is this:

Originally posted by Juniel Cruz View Post
                  it is more ideal to have a single master that talks with the display and other additional devices (like the 2nd Arduino in your setup).
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	multi-arduino.png
Views:	12
Size:	2.5 KB
ID:	74359

But again, a single Arduino board is still your best choice.

If you have other inquiries, don't hesitate to create a new forum thread or send us a ticket inquiry from our support page.

Best Regards
                  Juniel Cruz

Comment

Working...
                  X