Least hardware to supply standalone power to 13P2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Least hardware to supply standalone power to 13P2

I am exploring options to power the 13P2. My project is similar to a digital badge. So my goal is to minimize weight and depth.

One of my current challenges is the amount of items needed to just get power to the 13P2: Ribbon, adapter board, battery cable, battery. It would be nice if I could eliminate the adapter board. Any recommendations?

Thank you,
    Michael

Hi Michael,

I assume your badge is operating stand alone, ie you program it in Workshop4 and it has no host etc, it just runs its own application, displaying what you need etc.
    So the only things you need is 5V and GND I take it, you don't utilise the GPIO or the UART etc?

If you are wanting to do a 'hack', then you could carefully solder 2 wires on the board to gain access to direct 5V and GND, to then connect to your power source, if that would be helpful.

For example, if you put 2 small wires onto C9, on the right side of the board, where 5V is the left side of C9 (side closest to U2), and GND is the right side (furthest from U2), that would be a direct input. Or 5V is both the bottom left or bottom right of U2 itself, and GND is bottom centre of U2. GND is also in lots of places such as the larger pads on each side of the FPC connectors for mounting the connector itself.

Really comes down to if you want to solder on the board. This could likely void your warranty though if you were to slip and damage components etc. Its really though the only viable suggestion I have give you for something like a badge, were you cant have anything hanging off it in terms of FPC cables and adaptor boards etc etc. I will put a note into engineering that if we do a revision of this board, to include a 5V and GND pad, so applications like this could be more straight forward.

In terms of your battery, you could attempt to run the whole module off a LiPo or something, at 3.7V-4.2V type range, directly into the 5V input. Your backlight will be dimmer than running off 5V, but it might be acceptable for what you need.

Is this of any help?

Regards
    James

Comment

Thanks...that is great information. I have been looking for a short FPC cable with solder pads on the power pins...no luck so far, but I have found some items that are close.

Pads on the next version board would be awesome.

Thank you,
      Michael

Comment

Stretch goal. Squeeze in a 3.7v-4.2v step up regulator to 5v on the main board.

Comment

Thank you for the suggestions for the 13P2. Are there points on the 20P2 to supply power without the FPC cable?

Comment

• James_4DSystems
            James_4DSystems commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry for the delayed reply.
            No there aren't specific pads to solder wires or connect wires etc. However if you wanted to solder wires to specific components, you could - but unsure if that is what you are wanting to do or not.
            pixxiLCD was designed to work through the FPC connector, but this has been taken as a suggestion for consideration - thanks.
        Working...
        X