Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a part number for the connector marked as FP4ZLU30TM2T from the gen4-IB board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a part number for the connector marked as FP4ZLU30TM2T from the gen4-IB board

I looked for the part number from the datasheet of the gen4-IB board but I cannot find it on any component distributor.

Does someone know the correct or equivalent part number for this connector? It is for a 30-way FFC cable but I am not sure on the correct part.

Click image for larger version  Name:	connector.jpg Views:	1 Size:	33.2 KB ID:	74646

Thank you for your help in advance.
    Last edited by BrunoSenzio; 2 weeks ago.

Hello,

The connector is a 0.5mm pitch, 30 way FFC connector, Top Contact. There are dozens available on suppliers like Digikey, Mouser, etc.
    The particular one we use is from a supplier who really only deals with end manufacturing, so likely wont be any help to you.

Maybe this will help:
    https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...6uEAYqUAwhoiQA

Regards
    James

Comment

Thank you James,

I have another question regarding the FPC connector from Pixxi. I checked the datasheet and STEP Model and I was able to place a 15pin connector in my PCB, but I am not able to see the direction in which my cable is supposed to go, could you help me out with this part? (I attach pictures for reference)

I appreciate your support

This is the connector spec from 4D and the way I intend to connect with my PCB, should I use FFC1 or FFC2? I am not able to see the position of the 4D display ZIF Socket

Click image for larger version

Name:	d1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	74689Click image for larger version

Name:	d2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	74695

Click image for larger version

Name:	d3.jpg
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	74694Click image for larger version

Name:	d4.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	74692Click image for larger version

Name:	d5.jpg
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	74693
      Attached Files

Comment

Hello again,

The connector on Pixxi is a top/upper contact, as is indicated on your first image, and pin 1 is at the top side of the module. The pinout is stated in the Datasheet.

As to FPC1 or FPC2 in your images, I am unsure how to answer as I do not know what your module/PCB is you are connecting it to. You just need to look at the pinout of the pixxiLCD module and see what Pin1 signal is, and map that through to your PCB to ensure Pin1 signal goes to the correct place on your PCB design.

FPC2 however is the correct one for the orientation of the FPC itself into pixxiLCD, as the connect is upper contact. FPC1 indicates the back of the FPC is facing upwards, ie pins are facing down, which would be lower contact. FPC2 contacts are facing up, which is correct.

The way to tell, if you don't have docs available, is by looking at the connector itself. If the plastic slider lock on the connector is on the bottom side of where you insert the cable, then it is pushing the cable up when it locks so the top contacts touch the pins at the top of the connector itself. If the plastic slider is on the top of the cable, then it will be pushing the cable down when it locks, so the contacts would be on the bottom side. Ours are upper contact though, so the lock is on the under side of the FPC cable and push the contacts on the cable up when its locked.

If this hasn't answered your question, please let me know

Regards
        James

Comment

Thank you James,

This clarifies the connection to the display from the display side. From my side, I am using connector 1-1734592-5 from TE.

If I may ask a related question. I want to integrate this to an arduino-based board. Is my interfacing to the Pixxi display correct? I am trying to port the gen4-IB to my application by using the following schematic (please note that the connector's pins are inverted for cable positioning with connector 1-1734592-5 from the schematic).

Click image for larger version  Name:	d2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.9 KB ID:	74705Click image for larger version  Name:	d1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.3 KB ID:	74706

Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

TX on the 15 way connector of pixxiLCD is the TX of the Pixxi. Likewise for RX, so on the Arduino side you need to swap it, as TX of one device goes to RX of the other, etc.
            So Pin 7 of the PixxiLCD connector is TX, and Pin 8 is RX. Therefore Pin 7 needs to go to the RX of the Arduino, and Pin 8 needs to go to the TX of the Arduino.
            You can cross reference this from the schematic on Page 17 of our Datasheet, and follow the signals back to the pixxi-28 processor.

The Reset should be OK as you have it, but you don't need to add those components if you don't want, you can just connect it via the 68R, but note that Active Low will reset the display, rather than with your current circuit Active High will reset the display. Its your choice. The 68R's are not essential either, but are good to have.

You have IO2 and IO3 (pins 12 and 13) tied together and to 5V, did you intend to do this? Be sure you don't set the pixxiLCD's GPIO to output, or you will have a problem.
            Pins 11 and 12 dont connect to anything on the display, you have them connected to GND, I assume that is intentional...?

You also are not powering the display at all it seems, Pin 3 and 4 are 5V, but you have it on Pins 12 and 13.

... oh... your numbering is opposite to what it is on the pixxiLCD... (just seen the fine print) which likely renders most of what I said above, moot...
            But then it doesnt make sense, as your picture shows Pin1 going to Pin1 on your board.
            I think you need to look at this, as something is backwards.

Sorry, its a bit confusing with what you have shown.

Regards
            James
            James

Comment

Thank you James,

I see, the connector footprint is inverted, meaning that pin 1 in the schematic correspond to physical pin 15, this is in order to correctly connect the FPC between my PCB and the display.

It seems to be ok.

Also, I have noticed that there is an audio output pin on the Pixxi, does that mean that if I send out some PWM through that pin the display will emit a tone?

Thanks for your support so far.

Comment

Hello,

OK, if you are happy with how things are then that is good.

The Audio Output of Pixxi is a raw PWM output, it would need to be filtered and then put into an amplifier and speaker in order to hear anything.
                Else you can wire it up to a Piezo buzzer and play tones through that.

If you look at the Pixxi-28 Processor Datasheet, it states IO3 supports Audio Output, so that would be the pin you need to use for Sound. Later on page 47, there is an Audio Output section and an example amplifier and filter circuit. You could improve on this if you wanted.

If you look at the Internal Functions Manual for the Pixxi processor, you will see a section on Sound Control Functions, so these are what you would use to generate the sounds itself, after setting up the pin for Sound.

Its on our list of to-do's to put out some more information for pixxi products for Audio and a suggested circuit etc, but it hasn't reached the top of the schedule yet I am afraid.
                You could refer to other products which feature speakers on them, such as the uLCD-43DT, or a Piezo like the 4Discovery-50 and see the schematic used and follow the same approach.

Hope that helps

Regards
                James

Comment

Ok, that helps a lot.

Thank you James

Comment

Working...
                  X