pixxiLCD-20P2-CTP-CLB connectivity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pixxiLCD-20P2-CTP-CLB connectivity

Love the display but the decision to only include one UART makes debugging a COMPLETE nightmare. There is no way to tweak code with it installed into the application.

There are 30 pins on the connector and half of them are unused.

I'm guessing you require serial for some dedicated hardware type thing?

Even so, if that was the case you would normally be able to write something to the serial port and do it in such a way that it would 'stand out' on s parallel attached 'serial monitor device'.

Could you please give us some more information about your situation and issue?
    Mark

Comment

Sure- I am using the UART for wireless comms, 2 of the 3 GPIO for I2C sensors and such, and the 3rd GPIO for a systemwide master reset. I'm not complaining, it is more of a suggestion. Of course I didn't forecast the difficulty I would encounter. I laid out a board with pin headers so I could disconnect the display from the rest, but even that is a huge pain when doing something as simple as trying to optimize a line or two of code.

Genuine, serious nightmare, especially when factoring in having to unpower the whole works, remove the (fragile) ribbon connector, plug the ribbon into the programming adaptor, program it (gotta be in flash every single time remember) undo all of that, get it reinstalled into the product, (dang that FPC connector is rather fragile), try it out, oops it didn't quite work, lather, rinse repeat. 500 times.

OR, simply place header pins onto the final product, test your code in ram, when it works burn it to flash.

Like I said, I'm not complaining, and I really do like the display, but the decision to only have the one port is a rather massive fail.

Thank you for responding.

Comment

For what it's worth, I did try to program it in situ, and it didn't work at all. Seems that when both my application and my programming adaptor are trying to talk at the same time, there are... difficulties.

Not to mention flying who knows what serial data into my thing I am trying to get working.

Comment

It would be lovely and perfect if there were dedicated programming interface that had zero to do with any user application, or to have a 30 pin connector on the display like all the rest. This is not a problem at all on the other displays that I use.

Comment

Finally, it makes firmware upgrades virtually impossible. I cannot expect the users to go through all of that, even if I personally am willing to.

Comment

Right, not really any spare pins on the chip. Looks like you need another header and either a switch, or perhaps a series resistor, so that if the programmer is connected it 'takes over' the serial port.
              Mark

Comment

I've attached a snippet that can do bit-banged serial to a GPIO at 9600, 1440 or 19200 baud.

Mightn't help much as you seem to be using all ports, but maybe you can do without the 3rd GPIO for a bit
                Attached Files
                Mark

Comment

I'll look it over. Thank you!

Comment

For whatever it's worth, that should be pointed out on the product page. There is no way I am the only one who has encountered this problem. It is actually somewhat of a dealbreaker. I would have never anticipated this to be an issue else I would have selected something else. I've got an awful lot of time and money tied up into these things.

While I appreciate your response, the reason for choosing this display is because it is small. Small means there isn't a whole lot of room to be adding headers. It's not just those Tx and Rx pins- pretty much all of the display pins need to be switched out.

You really ought to revisit this.

Comment

Or at least publish some sort of recommended hardware workaround.

Comment

Gee, Picaso and Diablo have multiple serial ports, but it was quite a few years after the release of Genie before anyone even asked to be able to use Genie on other than Port0. Anyway.

Pixxi-28 only has 28 pins, they are all in use.

As I said before, you really only need to add a 5 pin header, like our standard one, but possibly a smaller on and a resister and you should be fine. Not sure why you need 'pretty much all of the display pins' to be switched out.
                        Mark

Comment

Working...
                        X