Gen4-IOD-32T tutorial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gen4-IOD-32T tutorial

I just bought a GEN4-IoD-32T display for a project. I like the feature list for this display but the documentation is terrible. I have yet to figure out how to do anything other than design the display. Are there any tutorials that give at least a decent overview of how to interact with this thing? It is pretty useless if I can't interact with the widgets.

P.S.:
    Many years ago I had a display from 4d systems (I forget which one) that had a wonderful getting started tutorial that walked you through some examples to show you how to do basic things with the display I was able in a reasonable amount of time to make a robust interface structure and interact with it. That is the primary reason I chose a 4D Systems display this time. I will be returning this display and choosing a different one if I can't get it to work.

I would like to add, I have the same opinion on this, The documentation on this device is very poor, I have a GEN4-IOD-24T, I was expecting to be able to use the visi-genie, but it turns out the IOD devices are not compatible with this, I can only find one working tutorial example for this device, which is the hello world, the rest when following the applications notes are all visi genie projects! Given the device is an IOD device I would have expected an example that gave buttons / sliders, a couple of form pages swaps and connected to wifi sending out / receiving TCP commands, as surely this is the intended use of the device. In the meantime are there any tutorials on how to do the same elements as this tutorial but outside of the visi-genie environment ViSi-Genie Advanced Buttons (4dsystems.com.au) and 4D-AN-00002_R_1_2.pdf

Comment

Hi,

Thank you both for your feedback. We always aim to provide as much documentation as is needed and the IoD devices do come with a comprehensive manual and Workshop 4 support in the Basic and Extended graphics environments. As it is an Arduino powered device Visi, and Visi Genie isn't available as a programming environment but the extended graphics environment has the same features as Visi with objects that are supported by the IoD easily added in to your project by using drag & drop and also the paste code button which pastes the necessary code to control that object.

There are a few examples in the GFX4d library. As the IoD can be programmed via the Arduino IDE also, these examples are available from the File, Examples menu. I will look into adding more examples that show a more basic functionality for controlling sliders buttons etc.

With regard to Wifi examples, we only supply a basic wifiscan example as there is a huge range of online resources for the ESP8266 using the Arduino core so usually a quick search for example TCP/IP code can be easily found and integrated into your project.

I agree that a form swap example would be ideal and I will look into an example for that. I did find this on the forum

https://forum.4dsystems.com.au/node/74392
      https://forum.4dsystems.com.au/node/69428

I hope this helps

Best regards

Paul

Comment

• innovtech
        innovtech commented
        Editing a comment
        thanks, I have managed to make the form switch occur and the TCP control, I am struggling with the indication of buttons being on / off, from visi how do you make use of the on / off colour sets, when I set the button on / off it only changes shade very slightly, note enough to indicate a selection from 4 buttons. ? I am using - gfx.UserImages(iWinbutton2, 1); 1 for on, 0 for off gets the shade change, but I do not seem able to change that level of change or colour tint.

• ESPsupport
        ESPsupport commented
        Editing a comment
        It was called 'winbutton' for a reason, it was copied of Windows 'asis', and thus the different shades are only slight.

We did add the 'Status' indications to enable better on/off highlighting, that helps quite a bit.

Other than that, try taking a (screen) copy of a winbutton in each of your desired colours and build that into a userbutton

Hello, I installed the last version of Arduino ide and last version from System 4D Workshop and can not find Port 3 in Workshop, in Arduino Ide transfer to iod09 works without a problem.
      Last edited by Schintgen; 28 March 2021, 02:12 AM.

Comment

Hello, I installed the last version of Arduino ide and last version from System 4D Workshop and can not find Port 3 in Workshop, in Arduino Ide transfer to iod09 works without a problem.

Comment

The 'first' comms tab in Workshop is for 4D systems displays with a Goldelox, Picaso, Diablo, or Pixxi processor attached. This tab will not find an IoD-09.

If you select and IoD device for a new project, there will be a second entry in the comms tab. This is where you select the IoD-09 device.

Does that clear up your perceived issue?
          Mark

Comment

Working...
          X