Programming LCD via Serial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Programming LCD via Serial

I would like to be able to program updates to my LCD module via serial. I have a project which is communicating to my embedded system via serial currently. My system has ethernet, so, I would like to be able to download .dat, .gci, and .exe files via ethernet, and program into onboard flash and sd card via serial. The Ethernet side of things is quite easy, and working however I have not found the protocol for writing direction to the 4D device. BTW i am using a gen4-uLCD-43DCT-CLB device. It will be installed in a 19" rack mount device and there will not be access to the uSD card, or USB to serial device. Thus my need for the programming protocal so I can program updates remotely.

Thx
    Larry

Hello Larry,

The programming protocol is available under NDA. You are best to raise a ticket from the 4D Systems website (http://helpdesk.4dsystems.com.au) and request the NDA, countersign etc and then the details can be sent to you.

Regards
    James

Comment

Rather than go down the NDA route you might like to use 'Update Bank(s) and Run' in conjunction with an adaption of the File Transfer utility.
      Mark

Comment

When you reference File Transfer Utility. Isnt that PC based. This system is not PC based, it uses an ARM embedded processor, so the File transfer utility would not work. Please, if I am misunderstanding, correct me.

Larry

Comment

Hi Just looking for some guidance. After studying a bunch of your documents, it looks to me like the best way to accomplish what I need is to write a bootloader to operate out of flash. If the bootloader finds the appropriate files on the uSD card, it runs that program. If not, it waits for serial communications stream which writes the files to uSD card. so, this solves how to get the initial program and graphics files onto the uSD card. I see two possible ways to do an update, and need some help on the subject of is approach #2 viable.

#1 Duplicate the serial program running in the bootloader on the application program on the uSD. This gives the ability to update the uSD card.
          #2 If possible. The program that runs off the uSD card calls the bootloader with a paramater which tells it to wait for serial stream of updated program. Question: is it possible when running a program off the uSD to jump the bootloader in flash. I am of course using file_Run from the bootloader. Is there a function to call which can re-run the bootloader, and pass a paramater.

Hope my longwinded explanation makes sense, and thanks

Larry

Comment

'Update Bank(s) and Run' works by checking if the program on uSD is newer than the one in each bank it updates the relevant bank, it does this for all banks other than 0.

It then runs the program in bank1.

That is part of your solution and could be used 'as is'.

SystemReset() will reset the display and run the program in Bank 0, but you could do that similarly using flash_Run() from another bank. Neither of these commands take parameters as they perform a full system reset.

If you are using the serial environment then you already have access to nearly all the tools used by the file transfer utility to transfer files, the protocol is not that complex, most of the complexity is at the PC end where allowances and adjustments are made for the intricacies of the different programming adapters.

If you have written your own serial environment then perhaps you want to add the same filetransfer routines to it, as these routines do provide a few tweaks beyond simply copying the files across, eg filedate + time are maintained, a simple checksum occurs on transfers and the transfers are optimised for speed and blocking to ensure the fastest transfer times.

Whilst we haven't published that 4DGL program it is available for the asking.
            Mark

Comment

Hi Mark
              I would like to take you up on your offer for the 4DGL program for file transfer. Always happy to "borrow" someone's already tested code.
              Larry

Comment

I've emailed it
                Mark

Comment

Working...
                X