X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James_4DSystems
    replied
    Originally posted by antman View Post

I bet there is a good reason for having non-specific modules, but it is not very noob-friendly
    There is, yes.
    Typically, one does not go and write PmmC/Firmware to modules without knowing what the PmmC is though... that's just asking for trouble. Also typically, you use Auto mode and it updates what you have to the latest version, not manually writing the wrong thing.

Good luck with the project.

Regards

Leave a comment:

• antman
    replied
    Originally posted by James_4DSystems View Post
    Hello,

So you wiped the module by loading Goldelox_G2_R26 which is a non specific Goldelox PmmC, so it no longer knows how to control the LCD display attached to the Goldelox processor anymore. Loading the PmmC specific to the module is why it then works again. However how the Unit will not have SPE loaded on it as you wiped it by loading the PmmC. So to get it back to the original state with SPE loaded (which is the splash screen you got when you powered it up - which is ready to accept Serial commands) you will need to reload SPE. After loading the PmmC all you have is a blank processor which knows how to control the LCD display, it has no application in it at all.

Looks like you were on PmmC 25 and now you have upgraded it to PmmC 26 at least. If you don't wish to use Serial (SPE) and go to Designer or ViSi, then you can. Its up to you how you want to proceed.

You should be all good to continue now and design your project.
    Glad the module is working after you plugged it in correctly at least.

Regards
    I see. I bet there is a good reason for having non-specific modules, but it is not very noob-friendly

I will try different methods and explore the options a bit i think.

Thanks alot for your time, hope more people find this useful.

Leave a comment:

• James_4DSystems
    replied
    Hello,

So you wiped the module by loading Goldelox_G2_R26 which is a non specific Goldelox PmmC, so it no longer knows how to control the LCD display attached to the Goldelox processor anymore. Loading the PmmC specific to the module is why it then works again. However how the Unit will not have SPE loaded on it as you wiped it by loading the PmmC. So to get it back to the original state with SPE loaded (which is the splash screen you got when you powered it up - which is ready to accept Serial commands) you will need to reload SPE. After loading the PmmC all you have is a blank processor which knows how to control the LCD display, it has no application in it at all.

Looks like you were on PmmC 25 and now you have upgraded it to PmmC 26 at least. If you don't wish to use Serial (SPE) and go to Designer or ViSi, then you can. Its up to you how you want to proceed.

You should be all good to continue now and design your project.
    Glad the module is working after you plugged it in correctly at least.

Regards

Leave a comment:

• antman
    replied
    It is now working again. All is good.

Found out that there were more PmmCs in the list for my LCD other than "Goldelox_G2_R26". There are PmmC named after the display itself, like "LCD-144-G2-A-R26" and after trying a couple of them, I got the screen working properly again.

Very confusing but it is now working!

Leave a comment:

• antman
    replied
    I can’t believe I didn’t try that, it did indeed work, I got the blue dot in ws4.

I instantly got another problem though. The first thing I did when I saw it was connected, I tried with the PmmC loader to upgrade it. But after doing so (with the goldelox gfx-2 file that came along with ws4), the screen just turned black after the loader said “successfully updated” and won’t come back on.

I still get the blue dot, but with some text saying “unrecognized device”.

I downloaded a program from another thread in the 4D forums for detecting what driver is used in my device, but when I try to load it, it just says “target incompatible, the source code has been compiled for a GOLDELOX, the target platform GOLDELOX-GFX2 is incompatible” and when I try to change #platform to GOLDELOX-GFX2 It says “compile failed, download not done”

Is there somewhere I can download older PmmCs or factory reset the device somehow? I can’t find it by searching.

Sorry for being a total noob on this, appreciate the help a lot.

Edit: Loading PmmCs is the only thing that currently works connection-wise with the lcd. So I guess restoring the old PmmC should fix the issue?
    Last edited by antman; 2 May 2021, 12:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• James_4DSystems
    replied
    Originally posted by antman View Post
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0162.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	75540 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0157.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	75541
    Hello,

You have it plugged in incorrectly.

Please refer to the product datasheet, https://4dsystems.com.au/mwdownloads...d/link/id/261/

You want it on the bottom row, not the top row as you have it. Refer to the highlight in the below picture from the Datasheet.

Name:	2021-05-01_18-09-18.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	75549

I suspect this will be the entirety of the problem.

Regards

Leave a comment:

• antman
    replied

Name:	IMG-0159.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	3.47 MB
ID:	75543 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0158.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	4.55 MB
ID:	75544Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0160.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	5.73 MB
ID:	75546

Name:	IMG-0163.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	4.18 MB
ID:	75545

Here is from Workshop4 and the errors I'm getting.

Name:	IMG-0161.jpg
Size:	5.81 MB
ID:	75547

And my windows10 COM port settings. Baud rates etc.

I am getting response hexcodes in the 9600 terminal in WS4, but I guess that's just the adaptor responding and not the display itself?

Leave a comment:

• antman
    replied

Name:	IMG-0162.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	75540 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0157.jpg
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	75541

And this is with the 4D programming cable directly to PC and WS4.

Leave a comment:

• antman
    replied

Name:	IMG-0153.jpg
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	75538 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0155.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	75534 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0154.jpg
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	75535 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0152.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	75536 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0156.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	75537

This is the arduino setup, as you can see the reset pin is connected to GND and so it is held in reset mode to pass traffic to the LCD. Screen is getting power though and shows out-of-the box screen. And I've tried to connect the TX and RX pins both ways i.e first Arduino TX to LCD TX/Arduino RX to LCD RX, then Arduino RX to LCD TX/Arduino TX to LCD RX.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• James_4DSystems
    replied
    Hi,

Please take some photos of how you have it connected, the cable connections, etc, that would be a good place to start, so I can see what you are doing.

Not sure what you are doing with the Arduino reset pin etc, but that is not right. Again you cannot program through the Arduino, it needs to be completely separate to program the display with workshop4.

Photos please if possible

Regards

Leave a comment:

• antman
    replied
    Originally posted by James_4DSystems View Post
    Hello,

Sorry to hear you are having problems

"First trying to connect it and program it via an Arduino uno board" - This statement raises concerns. Are you connecting the display to the Arduino via the Arduino Adaptor Shield, and trying to connect to Workshop via the Arduino? If so, you cannot do that, that is not how it works. You cannot program 'via' the Arduino.
    "tried with a 4D programming cable. Again did not work" - Same with this, is this connecting the programmer to the 2nd 5 way header (H2) of the Arduino Adaptor, and trying to program it via that? If so, again that is not how it works.

Have you had a look at the Arduino Adaptor Shield datasheet?
    https://4dsystems.com.au/mwdownloads...ad/link/id/85/

You need to connect the programming cable direct from your PC to the uLCD-144-G2 module, and program it via Workshop4.
    You then program your Arduino with the sketch it needs (before the display is connected).
    Once they are both programmed independently, then you connect the uLCD-144-G2 to the Arduino adaptor shield H1 connector, and power the Arduino, and they should start communicating.
    If you need to adjust the program in either the Arduino or the Display, you need to disconnect them and program each independently again.

The reason is because the Arduino UNO only has a single Serial UART, as does the uLCD-144-G2. So if they are connected together the communications they are sending each other will conflict with the programming signals, and it will fail.
    Also, as per the Arduino Adaptor Shield datasheet above, the H2 port on the Arduino Adaptor Shield is ONLY to provide extra power for the display (in conjunction with moving one of the jumpers) - which is mainly for powering the likes of a 5", 7" or 9" display off the Arduino, where the Arduino cannot supply enough power itself. You should not have this issue for the uLCD-144-G2 so you can ignore the H2 port.

You also cannot program the display via the Arduino, as the Arduino is not a programming or pass through device for the display, it will not work that way.

I hope that helps

Regards
    Hello! Thanks for your answer.

To clarify, I first tried to connect my LCD directly (without a shield or what you called it), by using three-state logic i.e connecting the arduino reset pin to ground(with 10k ohm resist) so that it's stuck in reset mode and passes traffic to the LCD. No success here.

I then bought a 4D cable, plugged it directly to the PC and Workshop4 and that's where I got the error messages and no signal on the comm ports. The computer does discover that something is connected, but I guess that's just the adaptor in the cable.

Total newbie on these things btw, but the LCD does power up when plugged in and seems fine but it just doesn't connect to anything.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

Leave a comment:

• James_4DSystems
    replied
    Hello,

Sorry to hear you are having problems

"First trying to connect it and program it via an Arduino uno board" - This statement raises concerns. Are you connecting the display to the Arduino via the Arduino Adaptor Shield, and trying to connect to Workshop via the Arduino? If so, you cannot do that, that is not how it works. You cannot program 'via' the Arduino.
    "tried with a 4D programming cable. Again did not work" - Same with this, is this connecting the programmer to the 2nd 5 way header (H2) of the Arduino Adaptor, and trying to program it via that? If so, again that is not how it works.

Have you had a look at the Arduino Adaptor Shield datasheet?
    https://4dsystems.com.au/mwdownloads...ad/link/id/85/

You need to connect the programming cable direct from your PC to the uLCD-144-G2 module, and program it via Workshop4.
    You then program your Arduino with the sketch it needs (before the display is connected).
    Once they are both programmed independently, then you connect the uLCD-144-G2 to the Arduino adaptor shield H1 connector, and power the Arduino, and they should start communicating.
    If you need to adjust the program in either the Arduino or the Display, you need to disconnect them and program each independently again.

The reason is because the Arduino UNO only has a single Serial UART, as does the uLCD-144-G2. So if they are connected together the communications they are sending each other will conflict with the programming signals, and it will fail.
    Also, as per the Arduino Adaptor Shield datasheet above, the H2 port on the Arduino Adaptor Shield is ONLY to provide extra power for the display (in conjunction with moving one of the jumpers) - which is mainly for powering the likes of a 5", 7" or 9" display off the Arduino, where the Arduino cannot supply enough power itself. You should not have this issue for the uLCD-144-G2 so you can ignore the H2 port.

You also cannot program the display via the Arduino, as the Arduino is not a programming or pass through device for the display, it will not work that way.

I hope that helps

Regards

Leave a comment:

• antman
    started a topic lcd-144-G2 goldelox not responding

lcd-144-G2 goldelox not responding

Hello, I've had some trouble with this display for the past weeks. First trying to connect it and program it via an Arduino uno board, after which I did not succeed with, tried with a 4D programming cable. Again did not work, and it feels like I've tried everything. Read forums, tried different comm ports, different baud rates, different drivers and nothing seems to work.

When trying to update PmmC for example, I get "Unexpected response from display: -0". When trying to find the display under the COMMS tab, I get the yellow light.

Why is it not working?

Best regards
Working...
X