Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Graphics and Images

Hello,

I have been familiarizing myself with the Smart tools (slider, gauge, etc.). I am feeling comfortable with manipulating and creating smart widgets with existing images. However, I am not a graphic designer and I have very limited skill with image editing software (GIMP, Paint). For custom buttons, gauges and digits I have relied on some open source images I've stumbled across and those provided by 4D Systems. I'm not really skilled enough to make my own from scratch. With that being said I have two questions.

1. Is there a repository where all of the widgets and images 4D Systems offers resides? I know about the C:\Users\Public\Documents\4D Labs\Smart Gauges Knobs and Sliders folder. But I've often found the files from the YouTube demos and other examples missing. The links to the app notes are broken, the link in the YouTube videos are broken, and I have searched for "smart" in the app notes section but I haven't found some that correspond to the demos. I have also found several "examples" attached throughout various forums that include custom images and graphics. Do you have a repository for all of these types of graphics/images?

2. How would I go about finding more graphics and widgets to use with Workshop4 Pro without hiring a graphic designer? Is there a place where people share?

I would like to also add that I realize between the stock images and all of the custom graphics I mentioned above I have a decent selection to work with. But I am just curious if there is a way for me to have access to more without having to create them myself. I have no problem manipulating them to fit my needs, but I need a template or a base image to work with at least.

Thank you for your time.

Is there anyone who can point me in the right direction? Another possible avenue would be using something like QT Creator or other "drag and drop" style interface designers to create the widget images, and then using GIMP to deconstruct the widget into the pieces I need for the smart tools. Do you have a tool or program to recommend for this route?

Comment

Hi,

1. Is there a repository where all of the widgets and images 4D Systems offers resides?

There is no repository for this. If you found some broken links for the demonstrations of example projects, you can raise a ticket in our 4D Systems Helpdesk to help you out. Also, the app notes related to smart widgets that we provide are meant to instruct the users on how to use them. No app note covers entire demos. App notes are typically designed to discuss one specific topic which may or may not be part of the demo.

2. How would I go about finding more graphics and widgets to use with Workshop4 Pro without hiring a graphic designer? Is there a place where people share?
      There is no such place where people share their custom graphical resources since most developers keep their designs private. After all, custom designs are mainly used to introduce uniqueness. However, feel free to browse the forum since some customers upload their projects here when asking for support.

Is there anyone who can point me in the right direction?
      There's a lot of ways to customized the image. It's up to you how to do things. You can use any tool to create your customized image for the widgets.

Best regards.

Comment

I was in the same boat as you. I'm still new to programming and have zero creativity when it comes to creating or designing artwork. I was trying to find a gauge that fit my project and was not able to find one (7" screen with large speedo). There are a few good gauge tutorials on YouTube using Inkscape. Try and duplicate a gauge sample you like. There are some useful extensions in Inkscape that can help as well.

Comment

Thank you for the ideas! I will check that out.

Comment

Working...
          X