Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Drive not mounted..." / no access to SD card via USB (only via uUSB-PA5 / H1 Top)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Drive not mounted..." / no access to SD card via USB (only via uUSB-PA5 / H1 Top)

Hi all,

Have some issues initiating my uSD-card - tried both Workshop 4 samples and Arduino IDE examples. 4Duino works fine for simple graphics but as soon as it needs the uSD card I run into issues.

Things I've tried with no luck via USB:
    - Arduino IDE -> Examples -> CardInfo: 21:00:55.997 -> Initializing SD card...initialization failed. Things to check:
    - Workshop 4 -> Tools -> uSD Tester: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect opening.

Things that work via uUSB-PA5 but don't fix the problem:
    - PmmC Loader -> Firmware update (p 20: https://4dsystems.com.au/mwdownloads...d/link/id/166/)
    - Workshop 4 -> Tools -> File transfer via cable -> Connect via COM -> RAM Mount Successful, size=3.71GB (... can also copy files...)

Whatever I do - I cannot access the uSD card via USB but all is fine via uUSB-PA5 / H1 Top. The issue must be somewhere between ATmega32U4 and PICASO I assume?! Updating PmmC Loader and Arduino Bootloader did not fix the issue. Keen to hear any thoughts or experiences on the issue!

Cheers,

Manuel

Good day Manuel,

Originally posted by Manuel View Post
    Whatever I do - I cannot access the uSD card via USB but all is fine via uUSB-PA5 / H1 Top. The issue must be somewhere between ATmega32U4 and PICASO I assume?!
    Are you expecting the uSD to be accessible in your PC when the 4Duino with the uSD is connected to the PC? If yes, it was never really intended to work that way. If you think about it, doing so will result to extremely slow transfers which is from PC to ATmega32U4 via USB, ATmega32u4 to PICASO via UART, and finally, PICASO to uSD via SPI.

That being said, you have to simply connect the uSD to your PC using a USB or built-in card reader.

Things I've tried with no luck via USB:
    - Arduino IDE -> Examples -> CardInfo: 21:00:55.997 -> Initializing SD card...initialization failed. Things to check:
    - Workshop 4 -> Tools -> uSD Tester: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect opening.
    The situations above is pretty much expected to behave as you encountered. For the 1st item, the Arduino example is meant for a uSD card connected directly to the Atmel chip. For the second item, uSD Tester is meant to be used with a 4D processor like the PICASO.

Things that work via uUSB-PA5 but don't fix the problem:
    - PmmC Loader -> Firmware update (p 20: https://4dsystems.com.au/mwdownloads...d/link/id/166/)
    - Workshop 4 -> Tools -> File transfer via cable -> Connect via COM -> RAM Mount Successful, size=3.71GB (... can also copy files...)
    Both of these, of course, should work since you are connecting directly to the PICASO chip which both tools, PmmC Loader and File Transfer, are meant to be used with. You can use the uSD Tester using the same setup.

That being said, the only probable real issue you are encountered is the "Drive not mounted" message. However, since you mentioned that File Transfer works in the setup above, that means the uSD mounts properly. Therefore, the issue might not be the uSD card at all.

You might want to describe a bit more about this particular behavior and share with us your code so we can further help you investigate.

Best Regards
    Juniel Cruz

Comment

Hi Janiel,

thanks for your prompt response.

Originally posted by Juniel Cruz View Post
      Are you expecting the uSD to be accessible in your PC when the 4Duino with the uSD is connected to the PC? If yes, it was never really intended to work that way. If you think about it, doing so will result to extremely slow transfers which is from PC to ATmega32U4 via USB, ATmega32u4 to PICASO via UART, and finally, PICASO to uSD via SPI.

That being said, you have to simply connect the uSD to your PC using a USB or built-in card reader.
      I tried all avenues to identify the issue - I'm using a build-in card reader.

Originally posted by Juniel Cruz View Post
      That being said, the only probable real issue you are encountered is the "Drive not mounted" message. However, since you mentioned that File Transfer works in the setup above, that means the uSD mounts properly. Therefore, the issue might not be the uSD card at all.

You might want to describe a bit more about this particular behavior and share with us your code so we can further help you investigate.
      I've formatted the uSD card once more and voila it was mounted - I assume something had gone with the formatting before. All sorted!

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Felix

Comment

• Juniel Cruz
        Juniel Cruz commented
        Editing a comment
        Good day Manuel,

I'm glad you figured it out. Feel free to create a new forum topic or contact us via our support ticket if you have other inquiries.

Best Regards
    Working...
    X