Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scroll wheel input or simple write input field??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scroll wheel input or simple write input field??

Hi guys,

Can it be true that this smart Development system doesnt have a simple Way to input a value to an input field? Without using a slider?
    like a scroll wheel as in the picture.?

maybe it can be achieved by tabbing the led digits and then use the keyboard?
    it could be integrated as a feature in the leddigit or string…?

Attached Files
    Last edited by kaspervissing; 7 June 2021, 07:38 PM.

Good day!

Originally posted by kaspervissing View Post
    Can it be true that this smart Development system doesnt have a simple Way to input a value to an input field? Without using a slider?
    like a scroll wheel as in the picture.?
    A scroll wheel widget such as this is possible with custom widgets and clever programming.

You can either use a UserImages widget or a SmartGauge to create the widget and program its touch input behavior manually as you desire.
    ​​​​​
    maybe it can be achieved by tabbing the led digits and then use the keyboard?
    it could be integrated as a feature in the leddigit or string…?
    For this option, it is actually a pretty easy application that a lot of customer are able to do with what the widgets you mentioned offers.

As for making it an integrated feature for a LedDigit or Strings, it might not be the best interest we have at the moment given how easy it is to do with what is currently available. Furthermore, Strings and Digits don't really belong as an input widget and therefore, they are expected to be used to simply display output text and values which may or may not come from a keyboard.

However, we'll surely keep this in mind. Thanks for your suggestion.

Best Regards
    Juniel Cruz

Comment

Thanks for your answer. I’ll look into the scroll wheel.

until that, Can you point to an example where selecting an led and enable input from keypad?

Comment

• Juniel Cruz
        Juniel Cruz commented
        Editing a comment
        The scroll wheel would require you to code its behavior manually.

As for the LedDigits and Keyboard example, it depends on what environment you'll be using. Do you prefer to use ViSi Genie with Magic features? Or are you going to use ViSi?

For now i use genie, the display is attached to a ESP8266,
      if you recommend visi, I would shift.

Comment

Good day!

For now i use genie, the display is attached to a ESP8266,
        Since you are already using ViSi Genie and ESP8266 as the host controller, I assume that you've already read and tried setting widgets OnChanged and OnChanging events.

If that assumption is correct, then simply set the keyboard's OnChanged event to Report Message. This will set the display to report the key presses to your ESP8266. The host controller can then process the key presses to construct a string / character array for a String widget or an integer for a LedDigits widget. After that, the host can simply write the string to the String widget using WriteStr command or to the LedDigits widgets using the WriteObject command.

Best Regards
        Juniel Cruz

Comment

Thanks Juniel.
          that part I’m aware of. But i have let’s say 6 input fields on the same form, so how do I select which one to change?
          this is where I think it gets unnecessarily complicated.
          Compared to a standard function in all industrial HMI systems

Comment

Good day!

that part I’m aware of. But i have let’s say 6 input fields on the same form, so how do I select which one to change?
            The simplest you could try is to use a WinButton besides each input field. The Winbuttons can then indicate which field will be edited. Let's say you got 6 input fields and you added 6 Winbuttons to specify to your host controller (ESP8266) which one to edit. That should be enough and it's not really complicated at all.

Furthermore, you can instead use a UserButton with no frames (so it appears like it is transparent) and cover the whole input field. When you press the input field, the UserButton will redraw and, of course, erase the input field contents. Similar to using a Winbutton, you can set this indicate which input field to edit.

Also, please take note that Strings and LedDigits were never really discussed as an Input Field widget. These are output widgets. So if you want to treat them as input fields that works together with a keyboard widget, it goes without saying that you need a little bit of imagination to implement the behavior you want.

I hope this helps.
            Juniel Cruz

Comment

Working...
            X