Gen4-uLCD-43DT Connection with Servo Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gen4-uLCD-43DT Connection with Servo Drive

I have a couple 4D screens and am wanting to use them the be the user interface to control a servo motor. I have made what I want the screen to do via ViSi-Genie. However, I am wondering how I will connect the display to the servo drive (NIX Drive).

I am not sure if I will need to use another communication protocol on the software (i.e. Serial). I have also bought a MOTG-AC2 and RS-485 connection to be added to the screen.

I am also not sure if I will need a daughterboard to communicate to a drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh

Hi Josh

You are going to have to provide more information. What is this NIX Drive exactly? What interfaces does it have? Datasheet URL?
    Obviously we are not going to have one of these drives ourselves, so you are going to have to provide the information in order for us to know what you are trying to do.

Given you have brought the MOTG-485 ( I assume ) then I imagine this NIX Drive has a RS485 interface?

What protocol does it talk?

I would imagine the NIX Drive will talk a set protocol, and you cant program the drive with ViSi-Genie, so either you are going to have to change to ViSi and program the display to talk the protocol the NIX Drive talks, or you could use ViSi-Genie Magic I guess, or you are going to need an intermediate controller which the display will talk to that can talk the Genie protocol, and then that talks to the NIX Drive to talk whatever the NIX Drive language/protocol is.

If the NIX Drive cant be programmed to talk the ViSi-Genie protocol, then its likely not the best choice in Environment, and you are going to have to do manual coding in ViSi to talk to this drive. Also given you are dealing with RS485, then ViSi-Genie also likely isnt the best environment for that either, unless you use Magic code, but its likely easier to just use straight ViSi.

Please send more information and we can try and point you in the right direction.
    James

Comment

Hi James,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly!

The drive I am using is a NIX-5/170-C-C. Here is the datasheet here: https://doc.ingeniamc.com/nix/manual...ct-description

The NIX drive is a digital servo drive, it was bought as it claims to be able to support most feedback sensors. It will be paired with a Netzer encoder and a brushless torque motor.

It has a supply and shut connector, motor connector, Micro-Match connectors, Feedback connector, Absolute encoder connector, I/O connector, USB connector (Micro-USB), CAN connector, and a RS-485 connector. This was another reason to purchase the MOTG RS-485 for the display.

The protocol it can take is CANopen, USB, and RS-485.

If I will have to use ViSi. Can the code be able to understand a sort of degrees to dBs calculation.

Sorry to ask such odd questions. Very new to this sort of stuff!

Let me know what other information you would like to make it a bit easier to steer me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Josh

Comment

Hi Josh

https://doc.ingeniamc.com/nix/manual...ications-RS485

This suggests its Full Duplex RS485 which is 4 wire, not 2 wire, so our MOTG-RS485 likely is not compatible unless this can be made to work with 2 wire.

There is no magic here, everything that the drive needs will need to be manually coded using 4DGL code to make this work - assuming you can get passed the 4-wire RS485 issue.

RS485 is the physical connection, I have not yet seen what the protocol it is it talks or how it is coded. However I imagine that is in this doc:
        https://doc.ingeniamc.com/emcl2/comm...ference-manual

It might be best you make contact with this company and see if its possible to use this NIX device in 2 wire RS485 (Half Duplex) mode, because if you cant then the idea is dead in the water, unless you build your own RS485 MOTG or external device, or use something different to interface to Diablo16's GPIO pins to gain 4-wire full duplex RS-485, as we dont offer anything in this space.

All of Diablo16's commands can be found in the Diablo16 Internal Functions Manual, which is found here: https://4dsystems.com.au/mwdownloads...d/link/id/720/
        You would have to write the code to do everything you need, from scratch. This is not going to be a plug and play system, lots of manual coding is going to be required. That said, it should be entirely possible to do provided you can get the interface sorted out with 2-wire vs 4-wire RS485, its then a case of studying their command reference and writing code in 4DGL on the display to interface to that accordingly.

Can the code be able to understand a sort of degrees to dBs calculation.
        By you coding the calculation in, sure. If you know the calculation then you can write the code to do the calculation in the display.

Potentially.... potentially.... you could use 2x MOTG-RS485 modules, dedicate 1 to the RX pair, and 1 to the TX pair, and that would get you 4-wire RS485. Never tried that, but in theory it should work. The TURN pin on one module will be fixed to Receive mode for the RX pair, and then the other TURN on the other module will be fixed to Transmit mode for the TX pair. Might need a little modification to achieve this though as this was not a design consideration when the MOTG module was designed. The TURN pins would be sharing the same GPIO which would not work as it stands, so the 1K resistor would have to be removed on the MOTG-RS485 board, and one tied to 3.3V while the other is tied to GND. Unsure if this is what you want to investigate, but its an option.

Hope that helps

Regards
        James

Comment

Working...
        X