Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tutorial example for Gen4-IOD-32T fails with RC=3, "Error: esp8266: Unknown package"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tutorial example for Gen4-IOD-32T fails with RC=3, "Error: esp8266: Unknown package"

So far I just followed the steps in the Tutorial ("Arduino GFX: Getting Started-First Project"). The programmer is connected and registers a virtual COM port which is correctly selected. The memory card is accessible and has a drive letter assigned. The display is active and shows some info text (Device type, Copyright notice, Getting started...).

Workshop 4 Version is 4.7.0.9 which should be fairly recent - I just installed it about a week ago and did not change any settings yet.
    I loaded the project from the Zip file and also tried creating a new project - both fail at programming the MCU (see below)

DEBUG StatusLogger LoggerContext[name=af3868, [email protected]] started OK.
    Preparing boards...
    Error: esp8266: Unknown package
    DEBUG StatusLogger Stopping LoggerContext[name=af3868, [email protected]]
    DEBUG StatusLogger Stopping LoggerContext[name=af3868, [email protected]]...

I suspect this might have something to do with the Arduino IDE having been installed on this machine previously? Unfortunately I have a previous installation of the Arduino IDE which I need to keep, because it contains many libraries and other settings for other projects I frequently work with.
    I cannot recall having denied the installer anything, but probably this install still got borked somehow. Is this something we can fix postmortem?

I kind of got it to work slightly more by installing the ESP8266 board via the Arduino IDE I had installed, but this now yields several compile errors related to FAT function definitions and I gave up on that. I tried reinstalling workshop 4 to see if I disabled any vital option but could not find any.

Im somewhat at a loss now. What would be the next step to get to a working install, without deleting the previous Arduino IDE installation I have?

Comment

Hi

Welcome to the forum,

It looks like your version if the Arduino IDE doesn't have the ESP8266 core installed. Could you please let me know the version of Arduino IDE that is installed on your PC. If it has a Boards Manager function under Tools, Board it may be possible to install the ESP8266 core ont this version.

You can find more information about The ESP8266 Arduino core here,

https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino

Best regards

Paul

Comment

Could you please try again with the ESP8266 core install and then let me know the errors you were getting

Comment

With the current ESP 8266 core it seems to work (differently) but still can't compile, below a trunctated log.
          I also installed the 4DSystems GFX4d library from the arduino IDE, also the current release.

This occurs both from Workspace 4 and from compiling directly in the Arduino IDE.

Within Workspace 4 there is also a warning :

2021-06-30T16:00:02.620Z WARN p.a.h.BoardCloudResolver:64 [cc.arduino.packages.discoverers.serial.SerialDiscovery] Fail to get the Vid Pid information from the builder response code=404

Code:
          In file included from C:\Users\USER\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SdFat/utility/FatLib.h:22,
          from C:\Users\USER\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SdFat/SdFat.h:27,
          from C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.1\libraries\SDFS\src/SDFS.h:36,
          from C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.1\libraries\SD\src/SD.h:25,
          from C:\Users\USER\Documents\Arduino\libraries\GFX4d\src/GFX4d.h:190,
          from C:\Users\USER\Desktop\GCUPro\Konzept\UI\4DSystems\ArduinoIDETest\test\test.ino:2:
          C:\Users\USER\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SdFat/utility/ArduinoFiles.h:118:7: error: redefinition of 'class fs::File'
          118 | class File : public FatFile, public Stream {
          | ^~~~
          In file included from C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.1\libraries\SD\src/SD.h:24,
          from C:\Users\USER\Desktop\GCUPro\Konzept\UI\4DSystems\ArduinoIDETest\test\test.ino:2:
          C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.1\cores\esp8266/FS.h:52:7: note: previous definition of 'class fs::File'
          52 | class File : public Stream
          | ^~~~
          In file included from C:\Users\USER\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SdFat/utility/FatLib.h:24,
          from C:\Users\USER\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SdFat/SdFat.h:27,
          from C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.1\libraries\SDFS\src/SDFS.h:36,
          from C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.1\libraries\SD\src/SD.h:25,
          C:\Users\USER\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SdFat/utility/FatFileSystem.h: In member function 'fs::File FatFileSystem::open(const char*, uint8_t)':
          C:\Users\USER\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SdFat/utility/FatFileSystem.h:84:13: error: 'class fs::File' has no member named 'open'
          84 | tmpFile.open(vwd(), path, mode);
          | ^~~~
          In file included from C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.1\libraries\SD\src/SD.h:25,
          C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.1\libraries\SDFS\src/SDFS.h: At global scope:
          C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.1\libraries\SDFS\src/SDFS.h:50:50: error: 'SD_SCK_MHZ' was not declared in this scope
          50 | SDFSConfig(uint8_t csPin = 4, uint32_t spi = SD_SCK_MHZ(10)) : FSConfig(FSId, false), _csPin(csPin), _part(0), _spiSettings(spi) { }
          | ^~~~~~~~~~
          In file included from C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.1\libraries\SD\src/SD.h:25,
          C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.1\libraries\SDFS\src/SDFS.h:232:5: error: 'sdfat' does not name a type
          232 | sdfat::SdFat* getFs()
          | ^~~~~
          C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.1\libraries\SDFS\src/SDFS.h:258:5: error: 'sdfat' does not name a type
          258 | sdfat::SdFat _fs;
          | ^~~~~
          C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.1\libraries\SDFS\src/SDFS.h: In member function 'virtual bool sdfs::SDFSImpl::exists(const char*)':
          C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.1\libraries\SDFS\src/SDFS.h:85:27: error: '_fs' was not declared in this scope; did you mean 'fs'?
          85 | return _mounted ? _fs.exists(path) : false;
          | ^~~
          | fs
          C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.1\libraries\SDFS\src/SDFS.h: In member function 'virtual bool sdfs::SDFSImpl::rename(const char*, const char*)':
          C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.1\libraries\SDFS\src/SDFS.h:91:27: error: '_fs' was not declared in this scope; did you mean 'fs'?
          91 | return _mounted ? _fs.rename(pathFrom, pathTo) : false;
          | ^~~
          | fs
          C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.1\libraries\SDFS\src/SDFS.h: In member function 'virtual bool sdfs::SDFSImpl::info64(fs::FSInfo64&)':
          C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.1\libraries\SDFS\src/SDFS.h:100:26: error: '_fs' was not declared in this scope; did you mean 'fs'?
          100 | info.blockSize = _fs.vol()->sectorsPerCluster() * _fs.vol()->bytesPerSector();
          | ^~~
          | fs
          C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.1\libraries\SDFS\src/SDFS.h: In member function 'virtual bool sdfs::SDFSImpl::remove(const char*)':
          C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.1\libraries\SDFS\src/SDFS.h:129:27: error: '_fs' was not declared in this scope; did you mean 'fs'?
          129 | return _mounted ? _fs.remove(path) : false;
          | ^~~
          | fs
          C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.1\libraries\SDFS\src/SDFS.h: In member function 'virtual bool sdfs::SDFSImpl::mkdir(const char*)':
          C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.1\libraries\SDFS\src/SDFS.h:133:27: error: '_fs' was not declared in this scope; did you mean 'fs'?
          133 | return _mounted ? _fs.mkdir(path) : false;
          | ^~~
          | fs
          C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.1\libraries\SDFS\src/SDFS.h: In member function 'virtual bool sdfs::SDFSImpl::rmdir(const char*)':
          C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.1\libraries\SDFS\src/SDFS.h:137:26: error: '_fs' was not declared in this scope; did you mean 'fs'?
          137 | return _mounted ?_fs.rmdir(path) : false;
          | ^~~
          | fs
          C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.1\libraries\SDFS\src/SDFS.h: In member function 'virtual bool sdfs::SDFSImpl::begin()':
          C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.1\libraries\SDFS\src/SDFS.h:154:20: error: '_fs' was not declared in this scope; did you mean 'fs'?
          154 | _mounted = _fs.begin(_cfg._csPin, _cfg._spiSettings);
          | ^~~
          | fs
          C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.1\libraries\SDFS\src/SDFS.h:159:2: error: 'sdfat' has not been declared
          159 | sdfat::FsDateTime::setCallback(dateTimeCB);
          | ^~~~~
          C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.1\libraries\SDFS\src/SDFS.h: In member function 'uint8_t sdfs::SDFSImpl::type()':
          C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.1\libraries\SDFS\src/SDFS.h:173:16: error: '_fs' was not declared in this scope; did you mean 'fs'?
          173 | return _fs.card()->type();
          | ^~~
          | fs
          C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.1\libraries\SDFS\src/SDFS.h: In member function 'uint8_t sdfs::SDFSImpl::fatType()':
          C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.1\libraries\SDFS\src/SDFS.h:176:16: error: '_fs' was not declared in this scope; did you mean 'fs'?
          176 | return _fs.vol()->fatType();
          | ^~~
          | fs
          C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.1\libraries\SDFS\src/SDFS.h: In member function 'size_t sdfs::SDFSImpl::blocksPerCluster()':
          C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.1\libraries\SDFS\src/SDFS.h:179:16: error: '_fs' was not declared in this scope; did you mean 'fs'?
          179 | return _fs.vol()->sectorsPerCluster();
          | ^~~
          | fs
          C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.1\libraries\SDFS\src/SDFS.h: In member function 'size_t sdfs::SDFSImpl::totalClusters()':
          C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.1\libraries\SDFS\src/SDFS.h:182:16: error: '_fs' was not declared in this scope; did you mean 'fs'?
          182 | return _fs.vol()->clusterCount();
          | ^~~
          | fs
          C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.1\libraries\SDFS\src/SDFS.h: In member function 'size_t sdfs::SDFSImpl::clusterSize()':
          C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.1\libraries\SDFS\src/SDFS.h:188:37: error: '_fs' was not declared in this scope; did you mean 'fs'?
          188 | return blocksPerCluster() * _fs.vol()->bytesPerSector();
          | ^~~
          | fs
          Last edited by fco-celldeg; 1 July 2021, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Hi,

Thank you for the update. I've just noticed the core has been updated again so this might be relative. I will do some testing and get back to you as soon as possible.

best regards

Paul

Comment

Hi,

I've thoroughly tested the version 3.0.1 core and everything looks fine.

Could you please let me see the test.ino you created and I will try it here to see if I get the same result.

Best regards

Paul

Comment

Hi, thanks for caring about the situation. I had shifted my attention to other things yesterday but got it to work this morning.

The offender was a rogue SDFAT library. Apparently there are multiple folders where Arduino IDE looks for libraries and this particular lib did not get listed in the Arduino library manager, so it passed my scrutiny checks. After deleting the offening lib, everything does seem to work as expected, including workshop4.

I'll probably be back with other questions, but that's it for now. Thanks for your time.

Comment

Working...
                X