Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom keypad handling?

Hi

I'm trying to implement a custom keyboard on a gen4-iod-24t module. I have found the keyboard demo example on https://github.com/4dsystems/GFX4d/t.../IoDkBTestAuto, but it doesn't work as I expect. I only get -1 returned from both ImageTouchedAuto() and DecodeKeypad(), regardless from where I touch. I can't find documentation on either ImageTouchedAuto() or DecodeKeypad(). Looking at the source, it would seem that I shouldn't call it inside my own if block checking for a touch update:

Code:
    if (gfx.touch_Update()) {
      screenState.prevTouched = screenState.touched;
      screenState.touched = gfx.touch_GetPen() == TOUCH_PRESSED;
      if (!screenState.prevTouched && screenState.touched) { // Touch action initiated: screen was not touched previous iteration
        switch (screenState.currentScreen) {
        case IDX_MAIN_VIEW:
          handleMainScreenTouch();
          break;
        case IDX_FREQ_EDIT:
          handleFreqEditTouch(); // This is my form with a keyboard for user input. handleFreqEditTouch() handles a touch action while that form is active.
          break;
        }
      }
    }
    because it is calling touch_Update() itself, which might cause it to miss touch events since I already got the update in my code?

How is this supposed to work? What are the preconditions and constraints on parameters for above 2 functions? Are they meant to work on custom keypads?
    Last edited by L0uisc; 20 July 2021, 09:24 PM. Reason: Made code snippet clearer

Hi,

Welcome to the forum,

Thank you for pointing this out, there is an error in the example which I will make sure is updated today but in the meantime you can add this line in setup

gfx.touch_Set(TOUCH_ENABLE);

Earlier versions of GFX4d booted with TOUCH_ENABLE already set but has now been changed hence why it is not in the example.

I will do some tests to see what impact the ImageTouchedAuto() has on normal touch routines

Best regards

Paul

Comment

Hi Paul

I have already called gfx.touch_Set(TOUCH_ENABLE); in setup. My main form works as expected. I think I might not be enabling touch on the keys? Do I need to enable touch on each individual key image (i.e. iKeyboard_0, iKeyboard_1, etc.?)

Comment

It would only be necessary to touch enable the keys if they had been touch disabled previously. You do need to touch disable the main keyboard image file though,

gfx.imageTouchEnable(iKeyboard1, false) ;

Paul

Comment

I did do gfx.imageTouchEnable(iKeyboard1, false) ; as well as part of my switch to the new form. I do think it has something to do with enabling/disabling touch though, because I had an issue that my main form's objects would register touch when I touch the keyboard form. So I enable touch on all touchable objects (buttons, etc.) on the new form when I switch and disable touch on all other forms' objects.

Does that give you an idea as to what my issue can be? I still get -1 returned from both ImageTouchedAuto() and DecodeKeyboard().

Comment

Ok thanks for the info,

In that case then maybe yes, you may need to enable all keys you can do it like this

gfx.imageTouchEnable(-1, false) ; // touch disable everything
            for(int i = iKeyboard1_0; i <= iKeyboard1_59; i++) {
            gfx.imageTouchEnable(i, true) ;
            }

Comment

Hi Paul

I think I figured out what was the issue. I think it was indeed the case that my call to gfx.touch_Update() made imageTouchedAuto() misbehave. When I moved it outside that loop and made sure to enable all keys, I got the update events. However, since I switched forms and drew the keyboard in reaction to a button press on the main window, I got a key press event on the keyboard from the finger still touching the screen. So I decided to go the manual route and check my keys in my own function. It is only 14 keys, so I am happy to do that.

I'd be glad if you could do the following though:
              1. document ImageTouchedAuto(), including that it calls touch_Update() internally, so it will not work as expected if you already called touch_Update().
              2. document DecodeKeypad()
              3. document the meaning of -1 as first argument to imageTouchEnable()
              I think that should already help anybody along the line quite substantially.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X