Insert SD card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insert SD card

I have just boufgt a new 7" SB Gen 4 screen and I cannot insert the SD card. It does not push in far enough and I don't want to try too much force. I have checked the data sheet and did a search and I can't see what I would be doing wrong.

I managed to get the card in by trimming off the little tab on the side. This can't be right, but I could not see any other way of doing it. There looks to be a little clip that I can see through a slot at the top of the sd mount that was preventing the card from going in.

Comment

Hello,

The gen4-uLCD-70D, and other gen4-uLCD modules, uses a hinge/latch type microSD socket. You side the lid in the direction of the arrow to unlock it (some click and unlock, some just slide, depends on the age of your module), and it hinges up. You then place the card in, and lower the hinge back down, and then slide it in the opposite direction to lock it.

I have no idea what you have trimmed off but that doesn't sound good...

I am not at work as its the weekend, so here is an image I just found on google images to illustrate the type of socket this is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5009010801_hires.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	76534
      James

Comment

Thanks, I did also think of that, but when I tried to slide it, it is really, really tight and I did not want to force it, given I did not want to risk damaging such an expensive item. Perhaps you could update the manual to show this? It was the locking tab I cut off, it is working now and I will probably just put a little drop of hot glue to secure it.

Comment

Hello,

Sadly by cutting the tab off you have damaged the uSD socket beyond repair - but as you suggested the only real viable solution to use it now is by gluing it when you want to finally secure it.
          That tab locates the uSD and stops it falling out, as when you place the card in from the top (when the hinge is open), it keeps it on the contacts. The card is not designed to slide in, it is placed in from the top.

Some of the microSD sockets we use have a definite click, and some slide smoothly, it just depends on when the module was made. The smooth sliding ones were changed to be a definite click, as some customers had concerns around vibration in some machines these were installed in to. Their operation however is the same, slide and hinge.

I will pass the suggestion on to our documentation team about the microSD card, however to be honest I can not recall a ticket or forum post about this topic before, and we have been using these sockets on gen4 products since 2015.

Regards
          James

Comment

No, I did not touch the SD socket, that would be crazy, just trimmed the actual SD card. The SD card now just slides in and out, the blob of something would just be to prevent the card from possibly vibrating out, but it is secure enough now that it probably wouldn't. Working perfectly at the moment. I could just use a new SD card and install it as per normal if it came to that.

Comment

Oh, sorry - misinterpreted what you said completely then.

No problem then

Regards
              James
              James

Comment

Yep, re-reading the post, it isn't very clear what I did. Thanks for your help James, especially in the weekend.

Comment

Welcome. All the best with your project.
                  James

Comment

Working...
                  X