file_Write Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• file_Write Question

Have say a 30 line text file that has been saved. I want to open the text file and write to line 17 and overwrite the text currently there. How would I go about doing this?
    Attempted to while(file_GetS(buff,10,file) != 0), but realized the GetS function does not work when opening a file for writing.

thanks

You need to open the file in append mode and, probably use file_Seek.

I presume you can also use file_GetS in append mode.

I also presume you have fixed length lines, otherwise you will be best off reading in one file and write it out to another file.

Comment

Continuing with this ...do you have an example of copying lines from one file to a temp location and then back? Can multiple files be open at once (one for reading, one appending) correctly? Been trying for a bit to code this and keep dropping beginning lines or not writing anything.

Comment

I don't have an example, try the CONTROL.4dg sample in the FAT16 File project and make a few changes. You can certaingly have more than one file open at a time.

Comment

Thanks for the help. Have one last question on this subject I believe...

Currently have an array of characters that I would like to append ".txt" to and then pass that as the filename for file_Open. Been playing around with this and can't quite get it working correctly. Searched the forums and found an old thread about passing filenames to file functions having a bug. Has this been corrected since?

Comment

The 4DGL code posted in my Screen Dump thread has the very code you are looking for.

Steve

Comment

heh ...I actually just came back to delete the message since I got it working now. I will check out your thread as well. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X