Timer Accuracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timer Accuracy

I presume the system timers are based upon the crystal locked system clock?

If so, from the specs, gives them an accuracy of 30ppm, which if used as a normal clock would give a max drift of 15.77 seconds per year, which seems to me to be 'reasonable'.

If the above holds, how can I maintain the accuracy of the timer, by that I mean how can I 'reset' it to keep it ticking over in such a way as to not lose the occational millisecond or two?

eg. I imagine

sys_SetTimer(0,sys_GetTimer(0)+10000) ;

Will occasionaly lose a millisecond (or perhaps more)

Can the timer be set to freerun? i.e. not stop at 0, (and perhaps, ideally, auto reseting to 30000 after reaching 0)

I don't think the internal timers in the Picaso were intneded to be used in this manner. You could however use an external i2c type clock module such as this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/I2C-RTC-I2C-Real-time-Clock-RTC-BASIC-STAMP-PIC_W0QQitemZ150302042023QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Electronic_Components?hash=item150302042023&_trksid=p 3286.m63.l1177

The specs reckon it's within 15ppm. The advantage of using this module is that is battery backed and you'd get full millisecond/second/minute/hour/day/month/year.

Comment

sys_T() is a free-running timer.

Steve

Comment

Working...
      X